Thursday, February 12, 2009

Happy Birthday Nana!

Four generations picture 2005 Today is my Nana's birthday. This past Fall she suffered a stroke and we are very grateful that she is still with us. I have been thinking about her all day and thought I would share some favorite Nana memories...
1. She has the softest skin ever! When I was a kid I would sit next to her and rub the skin under her arms.
2. The smell of chalk to this day brings me back to her classroom where she taught 5th grade. I would spend afternoons cleaning her chalkboards and watching Days of Our Lives.
3. McDonalds dates for a fillet of fish - back when they came in the Styrofoam packaging.
4. People watching
5. We went for a walk together one afternoon and the twirly seeds were floating down off of a tree. She picked one up and then went on to talk to me about how Heavenly Father has created such an amazing world - how the wind takes the seeds and they find ground and a new tree is planted. I was just a little girl and it has stayed with me.
Happy Birthday Nana! We love you!

7 comments:

Sarah Young said...

I love those memories! I too love her soft skin. Whenever I smell Gloria Vanderbilt perfume I think of her. I remember sleeping on that green couch in her back room when we'd come to visit. I remember sitting and watching her coif her hair just so and suck in her cheeks as she admired the finished product! I loved her fingernails and loved them even more if I was lucky enough to get a back scratch out of them too! Oh Nan, there's just so much to love about that little woman!

Elise said...

Krista, HI!! I noticed you blog from the Eliason's blog. How are you guys? Your family has grown up since we saw you last, you all look great. Hope you are all feeling better from the strep throat.

McBairdFamily said...

Mom,You need to blog. Don't go back to the dark side. I love Nana too.

Barb McLean said...

Oh my, what sweet memories. This Valentines day Nana made her children each a card. She put stickers on it and wrote our name and then hers. Today I was putting it in a box of keepsakes and I too was filled with floods of memories. I miss my chats with her, and even though she can't communicate well, she still loves fiercely. Your momma is also a revelation to me. The way she cares for Nana is truly amazing. They do this cute happy dance together, and Nana calls her momma and Del daddy. Roles have been so reversed, but Jody and Del offer such love and devotion to her. How lucky and blessed we all are to have our sweet Nana in our lives.

Garrison Propaganda said...

krista baird, like elise i ran into your blog from the eliasons. what. the. heck! ive been trying to find you in some kind of internet universe whether it be facebook, myspace, blog-o-sphere. and here you are you stinker.

well, ive caught up on the blogging from your past two years while my kiddies are in bed and its been hilarious. i think my favorite would have to been a bum hungry for knickers. seriously, who says knickers?! hope you dont mind, but youre definitely being added to my list of favs on my blog and ill be peeking in on you hoping for frequent updates!

KRAZIKORTUS6PAK said...

Krista! how are you? I've been wondering how you guys are! I can't believe how big your kids are, especially Tanner!! Let me know how your family is!!
Wendy

McBairdFamily said...

Mom, come on. Blog. People are getting worried. love you Allie