Tuesday, January 20, 2009

NORMAL

Sunday I had one of those days that wasn't one of my best days as a mother. It actually wasn't the whole day just the last hour leading up to leaving for church. My voice was already horse from the cold I have so when I started screaming it was even a little startling to moi. This sweet child was the straw that broke my back. One could use such adjectives to describe her as spunky, demanding, willful and bossy! I am told that these are all traits that if channeled correctly they can be very positive attributes - we are doing our best! I had told her what she could take for a small snack for church and her idea of snack was more like a lunch. I finally went off and amongst other things I yelled, "I don't give a rats butt what you take Savannah because you are going to end up with whatever you want anyways!" She quickly replied, "OK, and Mom, hot dog!" (We have code words at our house that we use when someone is fighting or just not being nice. Savannah's code word is hot dog.) I have to admit it made me pause and probably prevented my head from beginning to spin! Everyone is quietly going about getting ready for church and Tanner is cleaning the basement doing whatever it will take to prevent another outbreak when Savannah says to Morgan, "Sometimes I wish I had a mom that was normal!" At first my heart felt a pang but after a day or two of contemplating "normal" my heart says that is exactly what I am! Normal by definition is functioning or occurring in a natural way; average - though they may not be our finest moments even the very best of mothers on occasion lose it. What Savannah should wish for is a mother that is abnormal! For me I pray that those normal mom moments come a little less often and with more time in between and take comfort in the fact that someday my Savannah will grow up to be a
"normal" mommy too!

4 comments:

hilla said...

Oh kids! They sure have a way of saying it like it is, making us re-evaluate, and putting us in our places! Who really is normal anyway?!

Anonymous said...

I have a daughter that sounds just like yours. Olivia is a very difficult little personality as well. I am more often than I would like to be, a normal mom too. It's nice to see your blog back!

Sarah Young said...

I think Brynna and Savannah would get along fabulously! Willful and sassy, sounds like a perfect match? Can you throw whiny in to? Then it would really be perfection!

Amy and Brad said...

I salute you...from one 'normal' mom to another!