Sunday, March 30, 2008

WHY?

We have been plagued for many years by Tanner's strange obsession with sleeping in strange and often cramped places. In the above picture we found him in Savannah's port a crib. He is obviously too big for this crib! On other occasions he has slept on the floor of the closet and the bath tub just too name a few. "Why?" one might ask, inquiring minds do want to know? And now you may be wondering why I am even writing about this will here goes...
This morning I came down at 7:15 am to wake up Tanner and Allie. We have 9:00 church and I hate it when our Sunday mornings are rushed and crazy. Carl had already left due to early morning meetings. I then proceeded to get the little girls into the tub and continue to holler to Tanner after Allie came up and was eating breakfast. I'm beginning to get a little frustrated because I haven't seen Tanner yet nor has he responded to my now screams to "Get out of bed!" I know, I hope you aren't shocked to find out that I am indeed a screamer on occasion. I am always filled with guilt about this when I think of Sister Hinkley or read Elder Holland's conference talk. I try I really do. Back on track... So I go stomping down the stairs to find that his bed is made. At first I'm thinking that he is trying to pull a fast one on me and he is all dressed and ready to go. But then I remember who we are dealing with here and I am trying to remember if I even looked at his bed when I opened the door and turned on his light. So Allie and I start searching the house for him and calling his name. After 45 minutes I call Carl at the church to make sure that he doesn't have him or know where he is. He doesn't but he leaves the church and comes right home. I am in a panic because I can't imagine that Tanner would have just left that is completely out of character so then I start having Jon Benet thoughts. I mean I know he isn't a beauty pageant queen or anything but what if some perv came in and took him. Then Allie says, "Is his bike here?" So I go out to the garage to look. I have been out there and yelled his name already. Then I see something in the car. I run down the stairs and open the door to find him in the very back with the seats down fast asleep with one blanket and his pillow. At this point I really started screaming do to the fact that my mind has gone crazy with worry and now I find him in the most ridiculous place ever sleeping and I'm not dressed or ready for church and need to leave in 30 minutes. He can't answer why he would want to sleep in the car when it is freezing outside and snowing. We can only hope that he has been embarrassed enough to never sleep any where except his bed because his Dad had to leave ward council to go search for his missing son and they all found out where we found him. Pretty sure he isn't going to live this one down anytime soon. But I am still left to ask, "WHY?"

6 comments:

Tiffany Hales said...

I LOVE it! This is most funny! I can't imagine how you wanted to kill him. When my dad was a boy he too fell asleep in the car. My grandmother was in a panic after not being able for find him for several hours and the police were called. Eventually he was located sleeping in the car in the garage.

Kristine said...

I would have killed him! I would feel no guilt about screaming - it is better than hitting ;-) What a funny guy! Thanks for sharing this story.

Sarah Young said...

Okay, that really is quirky! If he insists on sleeping in weird places, I'd make him write a note to leave on the counter revealing his whereabouts! So his poor mother doesn't worry herself to death! If I went into my kids room and they weren't there, I would have been out of my mind sick with worry and then ANGRY when I found out the whole situation was totally preventable. Until Tanner is a parent, he probably won't understand just how sick you felt.

Lindsey said...

That is the craziest thing ever! I swear, that kid - he is so smart yet makes the weirdest decisions! Who sleeps in the car when they have a nice, comfortable, warm bed! Oh, Tanner!

Barb McLean said...

I saw this program on TV about people who sleep walk and end up in strange places. They can talk to you, eat, drive a car, ect. and still be asleep.... Could Tanner be a sleep walker? I would have been scared out of my ever lovin mind!

Joe said...

Krista...isn't it obvious to you? Tanner chooses to sleep in weird places so as not to be disturbed. He is merely trying to rest peacefully. Ingenius. All I have to do to keep from helping with the kids in the morning is sleep in the car...thank you Tanner.